Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Nickel and Dimed"

I had some free time at work today and read a book that I had been meaning to read for some time now, but probably wouldn't have remembered I wanted to read it if I hadn't seen it on the shelf in our mini-library. It's called Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in Americaby Barbara Ehrenreich, and it tells her story of an attempt to get by on a low-wage job and find a place to live in a new town. She moves to three different locations as part of her "undercover" journalistic study, and in each place she learns lessons and sees the realities faced by people who do not choose to live a low-income lifestyle, but nonetheless find ways to survive.

The book got me thinking of my own situation in work and that I should probably be looking at ways to make a higher wage, but the idea also hit me tonight as I was typing this that if I had time to read the book while at work, my job probably isn't all that bad!

No comments: